The Academic Staff Union of Universities on
Monday protested against the decision of the
Federal Government to scrap the post-
Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination.
Warning that the scrapping “portends a
serious danger for the quality of education in
Nigeria, “the union also said the decision
undermined the autonomy and powers of
universities’ Senate as the highest policy-
making body on academic matters,
particularly admission of students and award
of degrees.
The ASUU President, Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi,
who stated this in Abuja, added that the
Federal Government did not consult the union
on the matter.
He said, “The cancellation of post-UTME to
us portends a serious danger for the quality
of education in this country.
“The argument of Federal Government on the
policy is unacceptable and potentially harmful
to the future of Nigerian’s education system.
We call on the government to rescind its
decision and convene a genuine stakeholders
‘ meeting on the issue before making any
policy statement.”
Popular Posts
-
Blogger hacked to death 01:57 Police: He died after being attacked on a street in Dhaka, Bangladesh A promine...
-
A rights advocacy group, the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, has called on the Attorney General of the Federation an...
-
The Lagos State Governor, Akinwunmi Ambode, has warned civil servants, especially the permanent secretaries, in the state against compro...
-
Fans of hip-hop singer, Olamide Adedeji, popularly called, Olamide Baddo, and versatile producer, Michael Ajereh, better known as ...
-
This Kanye sef! During his interview with Radio 1's Zane Lowe yesterday, Mr West began crying as he remembered his friend, who he de...
-
The Customs Area Controller, Western Marine Command, Mr. Yusuf Umar, has said that officers of the command will undergo training in mari...
-
Ahmad Lawan and Bukola Saraki Leaders of the All Progressives Congress again on Monday failed to broker truce between its two rival...
-
Mr. Timipre Sylva and Bayelsa State Governor, Mr. Seriake Dickson ADVERTISEMENT A former Governor of Bayelsa State, Timipre Sy...
-
House Speaker John Boehner had earlier failed to get dozens of Republicans to back his stance Continue reading the main story Watch ...
-
The Central Bank of Nigeria has banned the payment of cash into domiciliary accounts in the country, TheCable reports. In a circul...
Recent Posts
Categories
Blog Archive
-
▼
2016
(163)
-
▼
July
(39)
- BREAKING: Buhari, Obasanjo in closed door meeting
- Interest on loot recovered from ex-IG, Alams hits ...
- Certificate forgery: Nine Ekiti Assembly members t...
- I won’t quit as Saraki’s deputy, Ekweremadu tells APC
- No regrets about 2015 poll prophecy – Mbaka
- Mr. President and an economy in recession
- IBB ousted me to stop Gusau’s sacking for corrupti...
- 19 soldiers wounded, others missing during Boko Ha...
- I will continue to criticise APC government –Fayose
- We’re are not in talks with FG –Avengers
- Buhari’s style endangers democracy, says Enugu bishop
- I have forgiven Dino Melaye – Tinubu
- Assembly begins Yari’s impeachment as DSS arrests ...
- N1.2bn deals: EFCC freezes Obanikoro daughter’s ac...
- Halliburton: Buhari’s wife sues Fayose
- Don’t try impeach Buhari, Anenih warns PDP lawmakers
- BREAKING: Dogara sacks Committee on Appropriation ...
- Omisore welcomes FG’s move to reopen Ige’s killing
- Tariff reversal’ll worsen N300bn funding gap – Pow...
- Doctor rapes woman during abortion
- Tinubu’s wife asks Senate, APC to sanction Melaye
- LASU suspends 25 students over exam malpractice
- Police to re-arraign suspects in Bola Ige’s case
- Claims of selective anti-corruption war absurd, sa...
- Hijab: Court strikes out CAN’s application for sta...
- PHOTOS: Apologise to Melaye, Kogi women tell Tinubu
- Ex-governors under probe plant former aides in EFCC
- Don’t accuse my ministers of corruption without ev...
- strange things happen in south west
- ASUU reject scrapping of POST UTME
- MASSIVE SPILL AS AVENGER BOMB SPDC FACILITIES IN D...
- HOW AGBELE BOUGHT N1.3bn HOUSES FOR FAYOSE-EFCC
- PROTECT ME FROM MELAYE-TINUBU BEG IG
- I REMAIN LOYAL TO APC- SARAKI
- BUHARI MEET WITH DAVID MARK, OTHERS
- COURT TO HEAR SARAKI'S APPEAL ON OCT 6
- PDP crisis: No agreement with Makarfi yet, says Sh...
- Chelsea officially announce midfielder signing
- Its non of our business if oil production crippled
-
▼
July
(39)
0 comments:
Post a Comment